Thursday, March 1, 2012

Happy One Month Birthday Caris!


To my daughter:
I really didn't think you were true. They told me at 20 weeks that you were a girl and I didn't believe them--I made them check again. I feel so lucky to have you and your brother that I want to wrap you both up in a cocoon to make sure you are always safe. You and Liam have completed a family that Steve and I started over 8 years ago.

These last four weeks have not been easy--you have some tummy troubles that cause you to fuss from 5-10 every night. Steve says that you seem to have three states: nursing, sleeping and crying. Truth be told, I think you are starting to have more happy and awake times...I have seen some more frequent smiles and you are focusing on faces and lights with awe.

I look at you as you sleep on my lap and wonder what you will become. Steve and I agonized over your name, wanting to make sure that you could be whatever you wanted--could there be a Caris the artist, what about a CEO or president. We look forward to the years ahead and are excited to see what you will like, what your temperament will be, what you will look like. Mostly we are excited to have you in our lives--happy one month, little girl.

1 comment:

  1. Just beautifully written Annika. Just like you are, inside and out. You are so lucky to have this wonderful little girl in your life... And she is lucky to have you too.

    ReplyDelete